IVI 3D Printer | Forum

Challenge Accepted Game – Week #08

Dear IVIers,

The print of Week #07 is still under testing. We will share the results later this week.

The filament of week #08: Low-Temp Nylon

Please share with us the model you want IVI to print below and get the chance to win a free 3D Scanner Module.

Due to the delayed release of this week’s filament, IVI team will select the model to be printed on Thursday night at 21:00 PT.

Important reminders:

1. There are no limits to the number of model parts but all the parts of the whole model need to be printed within 12 hours.
  2. Please don’t share models repeatedly in a single round. A picture of the model and a link to download the STL file should be included in the reply.
  3. If the shared model is not designed by you, please make sure you get the permission of the model creator to share in public. Name or page link of the creator should be included in the reply.
  4. The more likes you get for your shared model, the more chances we will print it. So please try to share as much information as possible and mingle with your fellow IVIers to get more likes.
  5. When the game ends on August 31, there will be three backers whose shared models are selected, printed and the likes of the prints rank in the top 3 will win a free 3D Scanner Module each.

Rules

1. By sharing the model with us, you grant us the right to use it. IVI will not accept any complaints about the use of the shared model.
  2. IVI reserves the right to disqualify participants if there is any violation of the rules and regulations.
  3. IVI reserves the right to cancel or modify this Game at any time.
  4. Due to the R&D development time & production lead time, the shipping date of the 3D Scanner Module will be announced at a later time.

Looking forward to seeing your models. :smile:

1 Like

Hi @Helen, this filament is flexible? Thanks.
If it is flexible, I propose this bionic hand.

Without supports, this little hand is composed of a single object and can open up like a human hand.

Watch this video to understand its function:

1 Like

Because nylon should good for prototyping, tools and critical parts, maybe it’s nice to try this tolerance gauge?

There is also a paid version, if this wins this week and you guys would like to print the new, better, but paid one, I’m happy to buy that and send that to you. Just DM me. :wink:

ohhh!! finally, this is what I really want to see!! Nylon material!!

please print something difficult with low tolerance…maybe something like this guy

2 Likes

Here’s a great test of the flexibility and durability of Nylon. This has moving parts and flexing bending section for strength testing of the material.

Also, in theory it will have an artistic component by allowing you to create your own music!

1 Like

moveable Scale Mail Armor

moveable Armor

I’m not a huge tea drinker but I have made several for the wife and other family members that love a good cup of tea. With it being nylon it would be dishwasher safe.

Tyrannosaurus Rex skull because why not?

Made by MakerBot

Hi All, as nylon is strong I think something with cogs would be good.
How about this Wind up car. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3308710windup%20car

3 Likes

Crossbow to test both printer and the material.
image https://cdn.thingiverse.com/renders/7d/09/01/d7/31/a710db7931ec8490b7f7901722e2cc20_preview_featured.jpg

Ball in Ball by DevinWilcox

I don’t know how flexible this Nylon would be, but this could be very cool,

Download
https://www.thingiverse.com/download:791295

Hi @ilaria Sorry for late reply. Yes, the filament is flexible. :smile:

2 Likes

Dear IVIers,

Last week, we printed Fully 3D-printable wind-up car with low-temp nylon. The model was shared by Martin and designed by Bribro 12.

When printing with the low-temp nylon, we found that it is quite prone to stringing. Stringing is mainly affected by the retraction speed, retraction distance, and printing temperature. After a few times of testing, we found a setting that mitigated the stringing problem. Also, when the cooling fans are turned on, it tends to warp and deform, so we turned the fans on the print head off during this printing.

Parameters:
Technique: FDM 3D Printing
Nozzle diameter: 0.3 mm
Printing temperature: 185 ℃
Layer height: 0.15 mm
Printing speed: 30 mm/s
Wall thickness: 0.9 mm
Retraction speed: 90 mm/s
Retraction distance: 6.5 mm
Infill distance: 1.5 mm
Support: No
Cooling system: Yes
LWH of the model: 154.7 * 109.7 * 14.7 mm * 2
Printing time: 14h 34m

See you in Week #09~

2 Likes

With a lot of these prints you have been using different filaments and having to adjust the print settings to get quality prints…is the plan to take that data to create preset settings per filament type programmed into IVI? So what ever I load I can choose that setting without entering any info and it will correctly print at the speed/temp/etc?

Hi @Helen looks like the team enjoyed building the car just as much if not more than printing it…I am not going to mention playing with it :wink:

@Martin You got me! :joy: :shushing_face:

@aquawaldo321 This is what we plan to do. When you receive your IVI, it will come with at least 1kg of PLA. We will preset the IVI ready for this PLA. In the future, if we supply other types of filament, we will also test and preset IVI with the correct settings for those filaments.

It is worth noticing that even for the same type of filament, different brands may require different settings for a good result. It is thus not possible for us to provide a universally 100% ready setting for a type of filament. It can only be assured with the brand that we tested.