Browse thingiverse and find stuff you want to print!
This will give you plenty of things that will be fun to work on.
a good starting place is here:
Find a hobby you can support with your 3d printing and you will never run out of projects for it, in my case I play tabletop RPGs and 3d print terrain and minatures.
What type of location should we put our printer in?
I would suggest a garage office or living room, as others have said somewhere nearby and not where you sleep. It depends on how loud it is where you can tolerate it. I have two other printers, one of which is fine most anywhere it fits as it is incredibly quiet, the other I had to keep moving it further from where I spend my time as it was very loud.
How much space should we have for the IVI?
Its base unit size and probably another rubbermaid container for filament
Should we stock up on filament ahead of time or is that a bad idea?
I would pick up a roll of ABS and a Roll of PLA, in your favorite colors, aside from that it depends on what you like to print. When I was printing dungeon tiles on one of my other printers I was able to go through a roll in about 5 days, normally however rolls last weeks to months depending on projects.
Is there any special about storing filament? I’ve read that it can be affected by moisture, should it be stored in a sealed container with desiccant or something like that?
as others have said it depends where you live. I live in WI, USA and have no issues over the short term, others have had issues, but it tends to take many months or years for the filament to really get in bad shape. It is easily prevented by the rubbermaid container and a gun safe dessicant (rechargable, no power usage normally, just set in the container), personally I just don’t keep more than 1-2 rolls open and keep the rest in the plastic they shipped in.
What type filament is best for those just starting out, and what type is best for different tasks?
The link that was provided above gives all the details, however in short 90% of people only print in PLA in the home 3d printing environment from what I understand, and the remaining 10% mostly print in PLA/ABS. Commercially is a completely different world on this.
I’ve also read that some filaments and laser use produces fumes. I know that a solution is in the works for the IVI and I’m wondering if I can have any ductwork or venting in place ahead of time.
Noone will stop you, but ABS at least has gotten significantly better on the fumes over the years, it still doesn’t smell great, but even inexpensive filament has been adjusted to be both safer and less horribly oderous. I personally use amazon basics filament and Hatchback most of the time, but even the Esun filament from hobbyking (cheapest filament I could find at the time) wasn’t too bad
- What modeling software and slicing software does everyone recommend for a beginner, I have access to Linux, Windows and macOS but others may not, so I would love to hear about options on each. If there is one piece of software that is cross platform and exists on all three then I’d love to hear about that, too.
For modeling engineering items I use fusion 360. If you just want to poke around I highly recommend tinkercad. Fusion 360 has a hobbiest license if you dig around that allows it to be free if you gross less than $100k in a year, and tinkercad is browser based and completly free.
If you love programming then people rave about openscad, I have never gotten into it deeply as I was trained on solidworks/inventor in school and fusion 360 works great for me.
For slicing I have used Cura quite a bit, however my latest printer came with simplify 3d and as expected it works amazingly well. (Latest printer is Makergear m3 SE)