IVI 3D Printer | Forum

Schedule Update [June & July]

Dear IVIers,

Based on our progress in the past two months, we regret to announce that all rewards shipments are estimated to be delayed for about two months.

After the campaign, we were excited to get started turning our prototype into a final product and deliver to all of you. We started communicating with expert manufacturers before the campaign and conducted trial production for some components. We have been warned, notified and reminded by manufacturers, agencies, friends, and even some of you that product realization can be overwhelmingly complicated and detail­-­­dominant which requires an extremely systematic, well-organized and repeatedly tested workflow. We designed IVI to easily achieve high-resolution 3d printing, with laser engraving and CNC carving as additional functions. To make sure that you will feel exactly the same when you receive your IVI, we have been treading carefully.

We are sincerely sorry for any inconvenience or frustration this delay may cause you. It breaks our heart to tell you that we cannot hit the previously estimated delivery date. However, considering the ultimate demand of all backers and the long term development of the company, we feel the urge and the must to choose the right path instead of the easy path. Rather than hurrying to deliver a less qualified IVI on time, we will still be committed to producing a high-quality closed-loop IVI. We believe something wonderful is worth striving for and worth waiting for. It is our “no irresolution” principle to deliver what we have promised during the campaign. Below is a summary of what we have been doing to deliver a better IVI for you.

Mechanics & Structural Design

Before the campaign, we were satisfied with the functionality and design of the prototype and we were planning to turn it into a product once we are successfully funded. Then during and after the campaign, after listening to all backers’ concerns and suggestions from expert manufacturers, we realized that before we can start the trial production, we need to make another four prototypes. Our original prototype is for verifying the functionality while the new prototype will be used to verify many other factors. The picture below shows the difference between the two types of prototype.

There are many types of manufacturing methods used in IVI. When selecting the manufacturing methods and materials for each part, we will consider its impact on IVI’s performance, the ease of processing technic, the safety and manufacturing cost of the material.

Below are some of the modifications we have been doing.

1. Redesigned the filament chamber. The new filament chamber now supports two spools of filament with an outer diameter of 200 mm, making it compatible with more filaments on the market. Both filament roller is equipped with a weighing sensor to detect if the remaining filament is enough for the next model.

1. Changed the manufacturing method of the frame’s loop. Originally we chose CNC machining to produce this part, then we found that it is very costly as the cut material takes 90% of the raw material and the efficiency is quite low. After the evaluation, we modified the design and changed the manufacturing method to die casting.

1. Relocated the position of the extruder. We moved the extruder from the back of the filament chamber to beneath the chamber. This design provides easier maintenance, lower working noise, and the shortened filament transmission distance increases printing reliability.

2. Redesigned the extruder sensor. The new design not only detects filament suspension but also filament clogging.

3. Changed the transparent acrylic at the bottom to PC for heat resistant. Changed the frame of the bed from ABS to PC & ABS material for flame-resistant. It is because we found some sort of aging and deformation of the transparent acrylic and the frame of the bed, especially after printing with a filament that requires high temperature. After excluding the possibility of causing by the weight of the printer itself, we found it is caused by the high temperature and the ultraviolet light. The new materials are safer and environment-friendly.

1. **Changed the heat bed from Polyimide heating film to aluminum plate, resulting in higher flatness.**Changed the build plate from carbon fiber board to black matte PEI flexible board. The heat bed can be heated to 130 ~140℃ . Considering PC, POM, Nylon and other filaments, we might also punch the build plate.

2. Redesigned the print head to make it lighter and easier for installation. We redesigned the hot end so that you can replace the nozzle more easily. New leveling sensor is being used, making the print head more suitable for high-speed printing.

3. Added mechanical structure for the shell so that the upper and bottom panel in the front can open, facilitating easier operation for certain situations.
    test3-5(Openable%20door)

4. Added dust and smoke filter. The new design can filter laser-cutting smoke to eliminate odors and also filter dust to keep the working environment clean. In the meantime, we added a vacuum cleaner port to facilitate the cleaning process.

1. Using thicker carbon fiber rod for the arms so that IVI can work more stably.

We will produce four prototypes after all the details of the design are finalized to verify all the aspects mentioned above. All the design changes will go through a series of systematic test before they can be finalized.

Software, Electronics & Website

1. Confirmed the chip for the motion controller. Below is a simplified diagram of IVI’s control system. The low level section was confirmed before the campaign and we will use STM 32 ARM chip. The circuit board won’t be greatly modified. We will only fix the bugs and modify the size of the PCB to match the mechanical part.

1. Confirmed the chip for the high-level section. To speed up R&D in the early stage, IVI uses the Raspberry Pi, but the cost is too high. Recently, we chose the very powerful Allwinner A33 (Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A7 @ 1.5 GHz).

About Allwinner A33

Allwinner A33 SoC features a Quad-Core Cortex-A7 ARM CPU and a Mali400 MP2 GPU from ARM. This CPU is designed for the tablet and has very powerful processing capabilities. We chose this solution as it can meet all the demands of IVI’s 5-inch display, Wi-Fi communication, camera, etc.

1. Reorganized the main functions and interfaces of the LCD and redesigned all the pages. Alpha-version 1.0 has been completed.

1. A new interface for IVI’s auto slicer is being designed. The below interface has been demonstrated in the update IVI’s cloud-based auto-slicer, and we are currently redesigning for better user experience.

1. Negotiating with suppliers and confirmed the supplier for LCD. Suppliers of other electronic accessories are also being introduced and gradually confirmed.

For the software & hardware, we will continue to optimize all the relevant UI/UX and develop the PCB & software accordingly. We will keep a monthly update for the progress and problems. A detailed and updated timeline will be shared with all the backers once the four prototypes are successfully made.

As a startup company, we really appreciate all the support, trust and help received from all the backers all over the world. Most of you haven’t met us yet, except a few who might have talked with us during the CES 2019. Still, you choose to believe and support our idea and trust us with your money to bring this idea to life. We cannot thank you enough but to deliver what we promised. There might be unforeseen difficulties, unexpected hiccups, and unwanted delays along the journey, but with a little faith, a strong problem-solving determination and a clear mind, we will get there. We WILL get to the place that made us start this journey and the place that made us become a team together. Please give us some extra time to get things done and get them done good. Your support and trust fuel us and keep us going.

Thank you, all the IVIers. Together, we are a team.

7 Likes

So does that mean the payment for the stretch goal survey update stuff will be delayed as well? Since they were gonna be due at the end of this month? But since the products are being modified does that mean the prices will change?

Excellent update ! It is far more important to realistically meet the current and unforscene challenges head on now, during this stage of startup, rather then when 100’s of builds later in the field, and loose momentum in scaling up… Cheers, Alan

Waiting is not an issue for me because as you mentioned I rather see a really nice working printer than to get one that has issues. Great to hear of all the improvements being made.

1 Like

Hi @mele_g & @mele_g & @preis.alan ,thank you all for your encouraging and supportive comments. We are grateful that our honesty & transparency are being appreciated and heard. In return, we will keep listening full-heartedly to your requests, concerns & suggestions. Together, we are a team!

1 Like

Hi @MegaBaka , we are trying hard to bring an amazing IVI. For our first supporters, the prices don’t change.

@Tiffany ty for the update sad to wait longer but happy for all the updates to make it an extraordinary 3D Printer. Quick question in the photo with the filliment spool space being enlarged I noticed that the outside shell is also larger. Will this create a larger printing area??

Hi @bluedragons, thank your every much for your understanding. The outside shell is larger, and the printing area is possible to get larger, but we still need to conduct comprehensive testings to verify it. If the printing area changes, we will update it to all backers officially.

2 Likes

Well if this is true I for one cause say I would LOVE a larger print volume. At least 12” x 12” would be a tremendous help when printing larger items!

Hi @aquawaldo321, your voice is heard. We are not sure if the printing area will get bigger eventually. Please stay tuned. IVI team think for customers always and is working hard on bringing customer experience as best as we can.

I 2nd that as well, just slightly bigger would be great if possible, my smallest printer right now is 220x220, and IVI is even smaller than that, but I’m hoping the print quality will make up for the smaller print bed to justify my decision on supporting this project :smiley:

This is my first foray into 3D printing, but I’m no stranger to technology. I’ve backed crowdfunded projects in the past that were new tech only to see them turn into ether. But you’ve got a successful working prototype, and there’s no such thing as greatness without adversity. The delay, in my opinion, will only strengthen IVI’s position once it is released. I like the changes discussed so far, and I would suggest outlining what possible improvements you’re considering; I’m very curious to see what new “missions” IVI will be ready for after its release.

Hi @jblogref, thank you for your understanding and encouragement. We are glad that you will start your journey of 3D printing with IVI 3D printer. The journey of IVI just began, and we are so grateful to have your backup. We will keep you updated and listen to you on possible improvements in the future.

Hi @davidwanj, thanks for your comment. We’d like to make possible improvements on the basis of making sure the functionality and durability.

A note for the backers, rather than the IVI team. I agree, having a larger build volume would be an awesome thing! However, please be realistic. You’ve already agreed to pay to back this printer with an FDM build volume of Φ210 x 220 mm (Φ8.3 × 8.6 inches). Any increase they can give us, if they can, is more than what we’ve been promised and is a benefit. But asking for build volumes of Φ12 × 12 inches? Are you kidding me? That’s 291.67% of the original volume!! Most of these printers were funded for $300 to $400, they’d have to charge everybody hundreds more to increase the build volume to Φ12 × 12. If you want a 200% increase in build volume, go buy a bigger printer. As far as the IVI, take any increase to build volume with appreciation.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update.

1 Like

I can’t imagine how big IVI would have to be for 12x12" as it is a delta form =D, it would be like a full size desk :rofl:

You might as well get two and put them by your TV, they’d look like giant tower speakers!

1 Like

Hello @Tiffany,

Was wondering if you can give us an update on the (4pcs?) new prototype machines being built revised to handle the standard 1 kg filament reels ?

You had previously mentioned that the overall size might change slightly… Has it ?

Has testing started in evaluating motion stability, dimensional accuracy, and speed with these new components ?

Does this version include “Resume Print” after power outage or shutdown ?

What prevents Delta mechanism from physically crashing down into actual printed part ?

How can the servos “lock” linear bearings from drifting down when power loss ?

Hello @preis.alan, sincerely sorry for the late reply and thank you greatly for your valuable and detailed suggestions on the product. Regarding the questions raised, please check our reply as below:

1. The filament chamber can handle standard 1 kg filament reels;
  2. The overall size of printing size maintains the original one, if any changes, we will update the specs and share with all backers;
  3. The applicability of new components on IVI will be tested on the new prototypes;
  4. Since we use an external power supply on IVI, it is not that easy to add a “Resume Print” function. We are working on this supplementary function, but it is not our top priority at the moment. We will keep you updated on the progress;
  5. Could you please give us some more explanations on this question?
  6. Power loss during printing is a rare case. Since the weight of IVI’s print head is very light, there won’t be crashing down into the printed model. 1-2 mm shift is possible to occur due to inertia. Protective measures will be added on “Resume Print” to lock the linear bearings from drifting down.
1 Like