It has been almost a month since we found the problem with the control board and started plans on resolving it. In this update, we will share the status of the plans and the work of other groups.
- Redesign of the Control Board
Our hardware engineer has completed the components selection, schematic design. He is working on the layout, which should be completed by May 15. In the meantime, two backers (Josh & Robin) with profound experience in electronic hardware are helping to review the PCB design. We have received their detailed first-round feedback. And we are deeply grateful for their kindness and help. The new control board is planned to be completed by late May. If everything goes well, we can start the functional test then.
- Outsourcing of the Control Board
The external team has completed the components selection, schematic design, layout & PCB processing. They are soldering now which is expected to be completed by May 15. If everything goes well, they will start the functional test then.
All the development of the LCD is advancing as scheduled. The first beta version is scheduled to be completed by early June. Then we will have it test on the printer, of course with the control board problem solved.
All the development of the slicer is also advancing as scheduled. The first beta version is still scheduled to be completed by early June as well.
- Mechanical Hardware
80% of the mechanical hardware is completed and waiting for the functional test of the whole printer. The other 20% includes the following issues.
A. We are still improving the design of the print head for auto bed leveling.
B. A new metal plate base, a new metal plate base cover, and a new metal plate top front door are being produced (they were plastic before), we are expecting to receive them by late May.
- Testing and Production
The testing engineer is testing part of the functionality of the heated bed and the print head. He is also gathering information and requirement for certification of the printer and evaluating the risks with potential suppliers based on the current prototypes we have. The NPI engineer is working on the production and assembly cost evaluating and forecasting, preparing assembly SOP, evaluating assembly factories, etc.
- Team Introduction
As suggested by a backer a few days ago, here is a brief introduction of our team at the moment. We have 19 team members in total now. You can find most of them in this video. Some have left because of various reasons and there are new team members joining in. No matter what, we will keep working hard for our shared dream.
Thank you all for your continuous understanding, patience, and support. Please stay safe and strong.