The Gecko was a great, if somewhat complicated idea. IMO, one choice they made was a fatal flaw. That flaw was using composite aluminum panels. Both the floor of the printer (which held the bed) and the Z gantry (which held the XY rails, carriage, print head, etc, were made of that. The problem is that over time, the panels began to flex.
One of the big contributors on the Facebook Gecko group had actually done a redesign of the floor and gantry using 2020 & 2040 extrusions, along with dual Z motors. But he never actually published it, and now the group is a ghost town. I think I may one day try to implement his ideas.
I’ve got all the parts (except panels) for my BLV, including finishing printing most of those parts two months ago. But, I’ve chosen to use a triple-Z self leveling system created by a third party. It seems like it will be a great system, but it’s been a WIP for a while and the guy did not document some specialty parts required to finish it. I finally got a DXF for the back panel and it will arrive this Tuesday.
At this point, I’ve got the Z and Y installs complete and should finish the X rail and carriage kinematics this weekend. Soon enough, I can start mounting electronics and proceed with the wiring.