IVI 3D Printer | Forum

Watch "Achieve true 3D printing with non planar slicing" on YouTube

2 Likes

A bit of documentation: https://tams.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/publications/2018/MSc_Daniel_Ahlers.pdf

This topic is promising and very interesting!

1 Like

@lesdrury & @emanuele.mattaboni, thank you for sharing the news and the documentation. We’ve noticed non-planar printing and would like to give it a try later. Please understand that the topest priority goes to production. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I understand, thanks. Just an advice to keep in consideration restrictions on nozzle design and spacing from the nozzle tip to the block/fan if you’re thinking about supporting this kind of technology.

Thanks again, can’t wait to try this printer!

2 Likes

Hi.
I didn’t do a very good job of sharing this link.
However I thought others on this forum might be interested.
I certainty wasn’t suggesting that the team be distracted from focusing on prduction.

Considering the results Michael was able to achieve on an Ender 3 (my curret printer), I also thought that it might be interesting to maybe try to print his linked files as part of the IVI weekly challenge.
Only a thought.

Best Regards
Les

4 Likes

Just from my limited understanding, if IVI supports this later on, would this be a FW change, or does the tool path software determine planar vs non-planar.

1 Like

Hi @malJohann, it should be the tool path software (slicing software) determines planar vs non-planar printing according to our understanding.

2 Likes

Hi @lesdrury, your advice is received. We will take it into consideration for the upcoming prints.

4 Likes

I’ve looked multiple videos about this topic, and IVI should be compatible out of the box; IVI supports third party slicers (the software required is an modified version of slic3r) and the only other requirement is a free nozzle. IVI has that, but you would have to remove the current cooling solution. But that would be magnetic so it’s easy to remove. :wink:

4 Likes